UL College of Engineering
Engineering & Technology Week 2018
Undergraduate & Graduate Student Poster Contest
March 5 - 6, 2018
Posters must be submitted BEFORE 12:00 PM on Thursday 2/22, by EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org AND all students must sign up to be a contestant by filling out the required form in Madison Hall, Room 106 BEFORE 12:00 PM on Thursday 2/22
Poster Competition Sign-up Period: 2/5/18 - 2/22/2018
Directions for Registering as Participant in the Poster Competition
A student must complete BOTH items within the same 24-hour period before 12:00 PM on Thursday 2/2 to be considered a contestant:
- Submit poster correctly (per instructions listed below)
- Sign up as a participant in Madison Hall, Room 106
Special Note about disqualifications: Poster submission does NOT mean a student is entered into the contest. Filling out a registration form does NOT mean a student is a contestant. All students MUST sign up in Madison Hall, Room 106 AND have an approved poster submitted by their professor to officially be registered in the competition. Failure to correctly complete BOTH actions within a 24-hour period will result in disqualification.
Directions for Submitting a Poster to be Entered in the Poster Competition
1. Posters must be submitted through email by the student’s professor that the research was conducted under prior to submitting for print.
2. Email to LASHAUN@louisiana.edu.
3. The email must include:
- attached PDF of the completed, approved poster
- the name of the student contestant in the body of the email (student should also be CCed on same email)
4. The student has 24 hours to sign up for the competition in Madison Hall, Room 106 and submit approved poster.
Poster Competition Documents:
Competition will include up to 30 participants (15 graduates / 15 undergraduates). Only 30 participants will be allowed, and sign-up is on a first come, first served basis.
Location and Dates:
Posters will be set-up on the first floor lobby of the UL Lafayette Edith Garland on c. Poster Judging will take place at various times on Monday and Tuesday during E&T Week. Participants are NOT allowed to be present during judging.
Anything pertaining to current undergraduate or graduate research.
- Participants must be currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate students in the College of Engineering (including Computer Engineering MS and PhD students).
- Contestants must register in Madison Hall room 106, by 12:00 PM on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - NO EXCEPTIONS.
- ALL PRINTED POSTERS ARE DUE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. This means: If you printed your poster somewhere other than the Dean's Office, you must turn in the poster when you register. If your poster is being printed by the Dean's Office it must be submitted by email to email@example.com by 12:00 noon on Thursday, March 3, 2017. Students wanting posters printed by the Dean's Office must follow the poster printing guidelines below.
- Poster topic can be anything pertaining to current undergraduate or graduate research.
- Multiple students may be listed on the poster, however only the first name listed will be the actual contestant.
- Posters will be set up by volunteers in the Dupré Library Lobby on 12:00 noon on Monday, March 5, 2018 between 12:00 noon and 4:00 P.M. Easels and a 4’x3’ poster support board will be provided. Binder clips will also be provided to mount the poster to the board.
- Posters will remain on display during the entire month of March. Owners may pick up their posters in Madison Hall, Room 105 after being notified by email.
Prizes and Recognition:
The winners will be announced at the Engineering and Technology Week Banquet on Friday, March 9, 2018. There will be a total of six prizes awarded in the form cash. The awards will go to 1st - 3rd Place for both undergrad and grad divisions.
GUIDELINES FOR POSTERS PRINTED IN THE DEAN’S OFFICE
Contestants can print their poster anywhere, OR have their posters printed in the Dean’s Office free of charge ONLY IF the following guidelines are followed:
- Posters must receive a final approval from student’s professor that the research was conducted under prior to submitting for print.
- An e-mail to LaShaun Bordelon, firstname.lastname@example.org, from the research professor with the PowerPoint slide saved as a PDF attached is sufficient approval for printing. The student contestant must be copied on the email.
- All posters to be printed by the Dean's Office must be submitted by 12:00 noon on Thursday, February 22, 2018. Printing will only take place the week before Engineering and Technology Week.
- Use the blank PowerPoint template with the measurements of 3x4 (landscape) to create your poster. Anyone can access the required PowerPoint template on Dropbox.
- Posters must be ready to print at the time of registration and submission. No editing will be done after it is submitted; the submitted poster will be printed. It will be printed ONCE.
- Only use HIGH quality images. Make sure that images are at least 200 dpi resolutions, or they will be fuzzy when printed.
- Leave a small amount of space on all four edges of the poster in order to ensure that no images are cut off.
- Posters will be printed only one time. NO REPRINTS WILL BE DONE. Proof read your poster more than once - there is an estimated cost of about $60 to print one color poster; we will not print multiple copies.
- Do NOT distort any official UL logos or images. Use the SHIFT key while resizing objects to prevent distortion.
Tips to ensure a desirable print:
**Special word of caution: the printer will print images that you think you have deleted from your template.** Be sure to follow the instructions included on the PowerPoint template.
If you have edited your poster multiple times (deleting text boxes and images) your print preview WILL NOT match what actually prints, EVEN IF YOU SUBMIT A PDF OF YOUR POSTER.
Every time you edit your poster you create layers and some layers get printed even if deleted. Please start a new slide and copy and paste the images that you want to use, to prevent printing of deleted layers as instructed in the PowerPoint template.
For more information, contact Dr. Chambers: email@example.com