UL College of Engineering
Engineering & Technology Week 2017
Undergraduate Student Presentation Competition
Monday, March 8, 2017
Sponsored by E. R. DesOrmeaux, PE, F. ASCE
Deadline to Enter Contest Extended
Presentation Competition Packets are due in Madison 106 on Thursday 3/2 BEFORE 12:00 PM
AND students must sign up to be in the competition in Madison 106 BEFORE 12:00 PM on 3/2
The Undergraduate Presentation Contest is open to any undergraduate student (freshman through senior level) in the College of Engineering. A student must be a full time undergraduate student in Civil, Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical, Petroleum Engineering, or Industrial Technology to participate.
All students who wish to participate in the Undergraduate Student Presentation Contest must register in the Dean's Office, which is located in Madison Hall 106. Registration is open 7:30 AM on Monday February 6, 2017 until 12 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017.
All paperwork and packets are due on or before 12 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017, and no papers will be accepted after 12 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017. Please note that the University closes at 5:00 pm every Thursday.
The Paper Competition will take place on Monday, March 6, 2017 in Oliver Hall Room 112 at 6 pm.
1st Place: $1,000
All Other Finalists: $125
2017 Presentation Contest Rules and Guidelines
A printable copy of Competition Rules listed below can be found here.
A. General Rules
- There is no limit to the number of students that may participate.
- Entries for the contest shall be limited to one presentation per student, and one student per presentation (Dual authorship not permitted).
- Authors must be undergraduate students.
- Content must be Engineering or Technology related.
- Entries shall include a submitted “Presentation Contest Faculty Approval Form” in their Registration Packet completed by a faculty member stating that he/she has approved the presentation and concurs with its submission.
- The Presentation should not have appeared in any publications other than in school or chapter/club publications.
- Students presenting on a topic related to their employment must acknowledge in both writing and on the PowerPoint the name of the company and the individuals participating, and what specific role that student had in the topic being presented.
- The student must solely prepare the Presentation.
- Slides, charts, calculations, etc. prepared by others must be appropriately identified.
- The student who made the presentation must present; therefore, no substitute presenters are allowed. A student unable to present is automatically disqualified from the contest. A substitute presentation may or may not be selected.
B. Contest Order of Events and Important Dates
- Students can register for the contest in the Dean’s Office, Madison Hall 106, from 7:30 AM on Monday, February 6, 2017 until 12 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017. You must register in person in the Dean’s Office and pick up the required Registration Packet (no one may register after 12 pm on Thursday, March 2, 2017).
- Students must submit their Registration Packet, abstract, and printed copy of the PowerPoint – delivered to the Dean’s Office by 12 pm on Thursday, March 3, 2017. NO presentations will be received after this date.
- The Moderator will distribute a copy to each judge for evaluation on Thursday, March 2, 2017.
- The judges will select four presentations to be finalists.
- The finalists will be notified by email no later than 7 PM on Sunday, March 5, 2017.
- The Oral Presentations will be on Monday, March 6, 2017 in Oliver Hall Room 121 beginning at 6 PM.
Instructions on submitting the Registration Packet and required documents for participation:
1. Prepare a manila envelope with ALL of the following written on the outside of the envelope:
- Student name
- Contact telephone number
- UL email address
- Alternate email address
- Associated department within the College of Engineering
2. Include the following required documents inside the envelope:
- Five copies of an Abstract of the presentation in 500 words or less.
- Five copies of a printed copy of a PDF of the PowerPoint that is part of the presentation (a maximum of 20 slides are permitted).
- One copy of the Faculty Approval Form.
C. Oral Presentation
- There is a 12 – minute time limit for all presentations.
- Contestants must arrive by 4:30 PM where participants will be randomly placed in order of presentation times.
- Business Attire Required: Gentlemen – Jacket and Tie; Ladies – Appropriate Business Attire.
- The presenters are not allowed to attend other student presentations until they have completed their own presentation (you many not enter the room until invited in).
- Judges will interview the student presenter at the conclusion of the presentation and ask any questions that arise, offering constructive comments. The time limit for questions and answers is 10 minutes.
- After the judges interview the student presenter, only Faculty Members are allowed to ask additional questions.
- Members of the audience are not permitted to ask questions.
- The presentations are “open” to an audience of all faculty members, alumni, and UL students.
**Presenters are encouraged to invite family members and friends to attend the presentations. **
D. Results and Awards
The Awards to the Contest Winner and the remainder of the contestants will be presented at the Engineering and Technology Week Awards Banquet on Friday, March 11, 2017.
- One first place winner will be awarded $1,000
- All other finalists will be awarded $125